Halleluja in the twilight

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

No, she's Christian!

After reading Shannon's controversial blog, 'Coffee at Clackamas,' I want to share one of the times I got my own cup 'o' judgement. I too am a tattood, pierced, wacky haired barista who loves Jesus with all of her heart. He is my Lord and Savior and has changed my life inexpressably.

I love the double-take looks I get when I wear my "Waiting for the Son" shirt and I get teary eyed when fellow tattood believers exclaim, "Sister!" upon hearing of my salvation. Some people just don't realize that God can work in anyone.

People just loooovvveee to judge, don't they? :)

"Can I please get a 16 ounce irish cream latte' with about two inches of room on top?" The woman in the front seat proceded to relay her coffee order with a wink, "I need the extra room so I can top it off with Vodka!"

Amazingly enough, this is not an uncommon request at my coffee stand in Granite Falls. I thought nothing of it until I heard the woman in the passager seat offer to her friend with a teasing smile, "You're not supposed to tell her that!!"

I managed a polite laugh and stood in the window when the first woman reasoned with the second, "Look at her! She doesn't care, she has a lip ring and red hair! She knows what's up!"

Both women laughed. Yeah, right. Little did she know I have never in my life been drunk and spend almost all nights a week at church.

Having being the butt of many such judgements, I make a more conscious effort to not judge people, may they be mohawk bearing, lip ringer wearing punk or a dirty, teeth missing old man from 'up the Loop'. If a person practices modesty and does not lead others to lust, who is to say what appearance is more for God's glory?! Who is to say that me, basically having the appearance of a punk can't enjoy a lovely "domestic" conversation about the benefits and smell-good factor of color-safe bleach with with my lovely, more "domestic" looking girlfriends? Who, besides our Lord, has authority to tell me that my hair color is interfering with my relationship with my Father? Some of the most "outlandish" people I've seen are also the most on fire for God. Some of the most "outlandish" people I've seen also make some of the best coffee I've tasted :)

7 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger Fishkrisser <> said...

Except for the whole coffee thing I aggree with you (you know how I feel about coffee). It is sad how most people will judge nowadays. It's more of a first impression thing I think but if the person can't look past the outside then they aren't someone that you want around long enough to look at the inside...So don't let them get to you. I know how tough it is. You wouldn't believe the ammount of people that judge me because of how buetiful I am. They just assume I'm vain or something. Go figure. :)

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Fran said...

Heather, I must say you do make a mean cup of coffee! When I ask for not too sweet, it's not to sweet! And when Jon doesn't want his to hot you put just the right amount of ice in it!

My own hair has been many different shades (including purple, pink and a copper color that matched a brand new penny!) I think you're beautiful just the way you are!

(And tell Fish I'll try to quit judging him about his vanity. lol)

 
At 2:32 PM, Blogger Fishkrisser <> said...

I'm back Heather, just wanted to say sorry about all the spam posts...their all my fault :( I didn't know you would get so many!

Ha ha, just messin, they aren't. I think they have earned the right to be judged though! I will judge them by saying they are as annoying as a scratched cd that keeps on skipping in your player (don't you hate that)!!!

 
At 2:39 PM, Blogger steve said...

God Bless!

If you get a chance could you please say a prayer for a little girl named "Rebekah" who has cancer. God knows who you will be praying about! Thank you so much!

Trying to rally some good Christian Prayer for her and her family!

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Hethir said...

Thank you guys! Yeah, Chris, I'll be more careful not to judge the beautiful ones, too :) Fran, I did NOT know you had purple hair!! That's cool! Your comment was touching, thank you so much! I love you guys! Steve, I will pray for your Rebekah! What is with Rebekah's lately? I have a Rebekah that needs prayer, too. Her and my fiance's cousin collided in a jet ski accident last weekend. She is in critical condition, she needs some prayer! On the bright side, we have reason to suspect she's a Christian! Yay!! Also, there is a Rebekah at church who needs Jesus. Pray for her too! God bless!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger sarah said...

hearther it's funny how people judge you, they probly think that youe some crazy punk nonchristian girl! but your really a weird but funny punk HUGE christian girl!
well your in mexico right now so i hope you had fun cuz you probly wont read this till your back!!!

 
At 12:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a great story. Waiting for more. » »

 

Post a Comment

<< Home